You are probably looking forward to this holiday season, which is traditionally filled with celebrations highlighting abundant food. For many, access to fresh, affordable fruits and vegetables is out of reach. Franklinton Gardens aspires to see every Franklinton resident enjoy healthy food. Thanks to our donors’ support, we work throughout the year to make access to nutritious food an everyday reality in our under-served West-side Columbus community. Will you give to continue this work into 2015?
Franklinton Gardens is an urban farm that brings our community together to find fresh, joyful celebration in food. We are able to serve our neighbors by growing and sharing healthy food, creating beauty, and building community because of generous support like yours. Your financial support is needed to help us continue growing fresh fruits and vegetables in our community. You can support efforts to improve healthy food access in our neighborhood.
2014 was Franklinton Gardens’ 7th year, and it was better than ever! Our community donors and volunteers helped accomplish so much! Donations from supporters like you helped Franklinton Gardens:
- Grow and share over 7,000 pounds of fresh food with families, soup kitchens, and youth programs
- Partner with over 40 organizations across Central Ohio (e.g. Mt. Carmel, Ohio State, Columbus State, etc.) and the United States (e.g. Nature’s Path Organic) to help improve access to healthy food
- Coordinate over 450 volunteers and interns who worked more than 2,100 hours in our gardens
- Offer job training to 25 Franklin County Work Experience Program participants
- Develop a community-guided 3 year strategic plan
- Plant over 500 fruit trees and bushes in our new edible perennial nursery
- Construct 3 new high tunnel greenhouses to grow healthy salad greens year-round
- Successfully pilot a Franklinton-specific 10-week CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program
- Receive Franklin Park Conservatory’s Growing to Green Sustainability Award
- Receive the City of Columbus’ Mary Funk Community Garden of the Year Award from Columbus City Council
- Win the Nature’s Path Gardens for Good Community Garden Competition (out of 132 national contestants)
- Be featured in international publications Organic Gardening, The Guardian and The Atlantic
And those are just some of the highlights that donors like you made possible!
2015 looks to be an even more active year than 2014! Your gift will help fund our ambitious plans for the new year:
- You can help improve access to healthy food for Franklinton residents
- You can help increase our CSA program to 30 community shares
- You can help host a Spring festival that celebrates gardening, food, and community in Franklinton
- You can help renovate 2 neglected buildings to serve as a community gathering space and intern housing
- You can help develop a farm training program that will provide economic opportunity in Franklinton by teaching neighbors how to use their yards to grow food for sale throughout the Greater Columbus community
To meet our budget projections for the New Year, we need to raise $10,000 this holiday season, and we have a generous commitment from a funder to match your donations dollar-for-dollar up to a total of $5,000! You can help transform our severely impoverished Franklinton community from a blighted inner-city food desert, into a vibrant foodscape. Every contribution helps, be it $5, $50, or $500! Donate by check, or give safely and securely online. Thanks so much for your support this holiday season!
Nicholas Stanich, Director